words and images: James Steufix
Get the party started with one, or all three of these delicious appetizers. Happy holidays!
- 15 to 20 cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
Cut a thin slice off of each tomato top. Scoop out and discard pulp. Invert the tomatoes on a paper towel to drain. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Spoon into tomatoes. Refrigerate for 3 hours. Yield: 16-20 appetizer servings.
Apple, Bacon, and Arugula Bites
- Red Delicious apple slices
- Lemon juice
- Garlic-and-herb spreadable cheese
- Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Baby arugula sprigs
- Freshly cracked pepper
Toss apple slices in lemon juice; pat dry. Spread each slice with about 2 teaspoons of the garlic-and-herb spreadable cheese. Top with bacon, baby arugula sprigs, and freshly cracked pepper.
Fried Green Beans
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- Vegetable oil
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- Ranch dressing
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and cayenne pepper. In another medium bowl, stir together 1½ cups water, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and vinegar. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and baking powder. Whisk into water mixture.
Pour 2 inches of oil into a Dutch oven. Heat between 350-375°. In batches, dip green beans in egg mixture and then dredge in flour mixture. Dredge in egg mixture a second time and then in flour mixture a second time.
Fry beans for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Season to taste with salt and serve with Ranch dressing.