recipe & image: Catherine Frederick
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with
Maple Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
Maple butter cream cheese frosting tucked inside two layers of moist, pumpkin cake. Fold in the spicy fall flavors of cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, and you’ve got a sweet treat that’ll have them begging for more!
For the Cream Cheese filling
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon butter-flavored extract
For the Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups canned pumpkin (puree)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick baking mats.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. Set aside. In a separate bowl, combine sugar, dark brown sugar, and oil. Add pumpkin puree, stir to combine. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture. Stir until combined.
- Using a large spoon, drop mounds of dough onto baking sheets, about 1 inch apart. Using the back of the spoon, spread dough into a circle. Place pies in oven and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 10 – 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- To make the filling, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese and mix until combined. Slowly sift in powdered sugar, add maple syrup, vanilla, and butter flavored extract. Beat until smooth.
- Assemble whoopie pies by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon a large mound of frosting on the flat side of one pie, then top with another pie, flat side down. Press lightly until the frosting begins to spill out to the edges of the pie. Transfer to a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. Store refrigerated up to three days.