recipe and image: James Steufix
- 3 cups (½ inch) cubed honeydew melon (about ½ medium melon)
- 3 cups (½ inch) cubed cantaloupe (about 1 medium melon)
- 3 Tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 – 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shaved fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Cracked black pepper (optional)
- Mint sprigs (optional)
Combine honeydew, cantaloupe, mint, lemon juice and black pepper in large bowl. Toss gently. Pour melon mixture out onto a serving platter. Distribute prosciutto evenly over melon mixture. Sprinkle Parmigiano-Reggiano over the dish. Garnish with cracked black pepper and fresh mint sprigs, if desired.
This colorful appetizer would be a fine addition to an antipasto spread. Parmigiano-Reggiano provides nutty contrast to sweet melons and mirrors the taste of salty prosciutto.