words: Catherine Frederick
Fruit Salad. It’s been around forever, and not that I don’t love it the way my mamaw used to make it, I surely do. But, I’ve mixed up a few new dressings that kick traditional fruit salad up a notch, or ten. Try all three, but you can’t go wrong with a single one. Layering the fruit into Mason jars is a beautiful and handy way to transport this delicious dish to your end of summer BBQ’s.
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled & halved
- 1 cup blueberries
- 3 mandarin oranges, peeled & sectioned
- 3 kiwis, peeled & sliced into half moons
- ½ a fresh pineapple, peeled & diced
- Pomegranate seeds, garnish (optional)
- Whipped topping (optional)
Wash, slice, and dice fruit. Divide dressing of choice evenly into four Mason jars. Layer fruit by weight, heaviest on bottom.
Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Before serving, gently invert jar to evenly coat fruit with dressing.
Add whipped topping if you like and garnish with pomegranate seeds!
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon pineapple juice (from the fresh pineapple, if using, or from a can)
Blend honey, lime juice and pineapple juice in a small bowl, set aside. Divide dressing among four standard Mason jars.
Orange Poppy Seed
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 Tablespoon honey, more to taste
- ½ teaspoon poppy seeds
- Pinch of allspice
Blend orange juice, zest, honey, poppy seeds, and allspice in a small bowl, set aside. Divide dressing among four standard Mason jars.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- ¼ cup fresh mint
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Place all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until blended. Divide dressing among four standard Mason jars.