image: James Stefiuk
- 1 lb. andouille or kielbasa, sliced into ½-inch-thick rounds
- 1 red onion, sliced into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt
- 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups frozen cut okra (from an 8-ounce package), thawed
In a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker, place sausage, onion, garlic, celery, and bell pepper. Sprinkle with flour and toss to coat.
Add tomatoes and their liquid, 3/4 cup water, and cayenne; season with salt.
Cover and cook until vegetables are tender,
3 1/2 hours on high (or 7 hours on low).
Add shrimp and okra, cover, and cook until shrimp are opaque throughout, 30 minutes
(or 1 hour on low).