WORDS: Catherine Frederick
IMAGES: Jeromy Price
- 3/4 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 dried chipotle chili peppers
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 large, ripe but still firm avocado, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño, minced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus whole leaves for garnish
- Chips and mini sweet peppers for serving
In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté shallots for 30 seconds, then add 1/2 cup of the cherry tomatoes and crushed chipotle chili peppers (stems removed). Add a generous pinch of salt and sauté until chili has softened – 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and allow to cool completely.
Add avocado, onion, jalapeño, mango, remaining cherry tomatoes, lime juice and cilantro. Stir gently, then salt to taste. Garnish with whole cilantro leaves. Serve with chips, sweet peppers and lime wedges.