words: Catherine Frederick
images: adapted from Cooking Classy
- 2 zucchinis, sliced and halved
- 2 yellow squash, sliced and halved
- 1 red bell pepper, diced into small cubes
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 6 oz. baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pkg. tortellini (I used Buitoni’s mixed cheese, in refrigerator section)
- 3-4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2/3 cup pesto sauce (I used McCormick’s in a package)
- Fresh basil (5-10 leaves)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Pink Himalayan salt
- Black pepper
Slice and dice vegetables while oven is preheating to 425°. Drizzle olive oil over vegetables, add salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat. Pour vegetables onto a large baking sheet.
Cook for ten minutes, remove and add garlic, stir and redistribute on pan. Cook ten more minutes (until veggies are just tender—do not overcook) and add spinach and basil (I used 7 leaves) and cook one more minute, just long enough for spinach to begin to wilt.
Prepare pesto if not purchased ready-made. Cook tortellini per package directions while vegetables are in the oven. Drain tortellini and place in large bowl. Add veggies and prepared pesto. Toss and taste. Add salt and pepper if needed. Serve while warm, top with fresh parmesan cheese.